"History is a wonderful thing, if only it was true"
-Tolstoy

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Education

Fareed Zakaria's GPS
The thesis is spot on - don't teach specific skills, but how to to acquire skills

CNN.com - Transcripts:

"ZAKARIA: And we are back with Eric Schmidt, the CEO of Google.

You know, I wonder about how we educate kids. I watch, you know, my kids go to school. And one of the things they have to do with great -- what takes a lot of time is to learn to spell properly.

Is it worth teaching people how to spell properly in a world in which every -- there's spell checks everywhere?

SCHMIDT: You can imagine education changing a lot. After all, when I was growing up, they forced me to memorize everything. But now, why do I need to remember that? I just need to learn how to search for it."

No comments: