"History is a wonderful thing, if only it was true"
-Tolstoy

Saturday, July 08, 2006

More "Metaverse" wierdness

Came across the following in Fortune (catching up with some reading)
See prior posts on WofW, 2nd Life etc.

Plugged in: Dinner with the Masters of the Metaverse - May. 26, 2006:
Shocking stats on dying mass media!
Blas�blather about today's Web wonders!
Here's how plugged-in netsters talk today.
FORTUNE Magazine
By David Kirkpatrick, FORTUNE senior editor
May 26, 2006: 3:33 PM EDT

Excerpt:

All comments guaranteed verbatim. (Btw, the Metaverse is the alternate world of online multiplayer games like Second Life and World of Warcraft. In both those games you can buy and sell virtual property -- for more about the Metaverse marketplace, click here.)

C: "Get into Second Life now if you aren't already. In two months my real estate has doubled in value." (When pressed, he admitted the increase was only from $40 to $80. But he was really excited. )

A: "I know a guy whose 12-year-old son told him 'I will build you a house in Second Life if you will buy me the coins I want in World of Warcraft.'"

A: "Exploring the metaverse is the big deal right now. A guy has been researching gaming for me and looking at Warcraft. He didn't sleep for two nights. He says it's as if I asked him to study heroin or crack."

A (to C): "Will you put your conference on Second Life in 3 years?"

In the meantime, I'll pay more attention to "real world" things like local issues of development, conservancy, water quality, our food company...
Things with real world constraints.

No comments: