"History is a wonderful thing, if only it was true"
-Tolstoy

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Beg to differ

True statement " I'm not an auto engineer" ... and it shows

Obama 100 Days Press Conference: FULL TRANSCRIPT:

"OBAMA: I don't think that we should micromanage, but I think that, like any investor, the American taxpayer has the right to scrutinize what's being proposed and make sure that their money is not just being thrown down the drain.

And so, you know, we've got to strike a balance. I don't want to be -- I'm not an auto engineer. I don't know how to create an affordable, well-designed plug-in hybrid. But I know that, if the Japanese can design an affordable, well-designed hybrid, then, doggone it, the American people should be able to do the same.

So my job is to ask the auto industry: Why is it you guys can't do this? And, in some cases, they're starting to do it, but they've got these legacy costs. You know, there are some terrific U.S. cars being made, both by Chrysler and G.M.

The question is, you know, give me a plan so that you're building off your strengths and you're projecting out to where that market is going to be. I actually think, if you look at the trends, that those auto companies that emerge from this crisis, when you start seeing the pent-up demand for autos coming back, they're going to be in a position to really do well, globally, not just here in the United States."

I'm assuming that the President is referring to the Prius, a questionable data point.
Word is that Toyota looses money on the Prius, while it makes money on ... Pick Up Trucks.
I've posted this before:

18 Is Enough — Sightline Daily - Northwest News that Matters:

How SUVs Can Save the Climate — Sightline Daily - Northwest News that Matters

"You save more fuel switching from a 15 to 18 mpg car than switching from a 50 to 100 mpg car."

So skip any focus on "small cars"
Sure, they make a visual statement, but the numbers are not important with them.

Best would be to look at hybrid technology applied to larger platforms, matter of fact to platforms that Americans buy ... SUV's and the like.

Matter of fact, Detroit is addressing this market:
Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid Named 2008 Green Car of the Year | GreenCar.com

More :
GM | Hybrid Cars, SUVs & Trucks - Hybrid Technology

But maybe this is all more about style than substance

No comments: