"History is a wonderful thing, if only it was true"
-Tolstoy

Sunday, September 23, 2007

One Web Day or Every Web Day

Doc's comments
Thanking our own heaven on OneWebDay | Linux Journal

Interesting:
"* I got ahead of myself here. Being somewhat calendar-blind (much as some people are color-blind), I actually woke up today thinking it was the 22nd, and that I'd better get my OneWebDay piece finished fast. I just noticed, at the point when 90 people have already read this piece, that, um, it's the 18th. Duh."

Well, we went out Friday night 21st, then stayed at the Cabin - note, no net connection's

I did go online later in the day to check news headlines (did GM/UAW make progress?)
But it was Saturday, clear skies, mild breezes.
Went to our woodlot to cut some trees (standing dead stuff).

In the evening I did get back online, to make travel reservations, and from a piece in Businessweek (Social Networks), comments by Doc on same as well as Paul Boutin :.

Decided to fiddle with Facebook
As one who often as not works solo, I'm not sure of it's value to me...

So what?

Basically, not sure that I buy into "one day" celebration of most anything.
I choose to "celebrate" every day.

The "web" is part of much of what I do on a near daily basis, from access to news, to sharing information with family,friends and business associates. It allows me to "work" from a bit of paradise, on a lake, surrounded by a National Park, yet be orders of magnitude more productive.

Rather than be "calendar blind" as Doc says, I tend to be "time/date aware"
Rather than celebrate "One Day", I prefer to celebrate "Every Day" and view the web as a tool and part of my everyday routine.
I don't "celebrate" the electricity that lights our night, provides information and entertainment.

No comments: