"History is a wonderful thing, if only it was true"
-Tolstoy

Friday, March 04, 2005

Tom on Brave, Young and Muslim

The New York Times > Opinion > Op-Ed Columnist: Brave, Young and Muslim

The last couple of years have not been easy for anyone, myself included, who hoped that the Iraq war would produce a decent, democratizing outcome. And even in the wake of the remarkable Iraqi election, the toppling of the Lebanese cabinet and the reforms brewing in Egypt, it is too soon for anyone to declare victory. We're dealing with some very unstable chemicals. But what makes me more hopeful today is precisely what made me hopeful that the Iraq war might work out, and that is the number of Arab-Muslim youth I've encountered since 9/11 who have urged me to keep writing about the need for democracy and reform in their part of the world.

---
Write On Tom

No comments: