"History is a wonderful thing, if only it was true"
-Tolstoy

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Passing


Portrait of his father by Jamie Wyeth

Shirley posted nice tribute here

I have always been fond of Andrew's work, in part because he had done so much with browns, greys and the colors of winter.

Such as : Snow Hill, started in his 70'th year



Chadds Ford Gallery:

“This is not just a pleasant picture,” says Andrew Wyeth. “It’s a culmination. These are all people I’ve painted in the past”. His models - neighbors all - dance around a winter maypole in gleeful anticipation of Andrew Wyeth’s death. “When I worked, I raised hell with them mentally and emotionally,” he says. “They wish I were dead, so they wouldn’t have to pose anymore.” The models Karl and Anna Kuerner, Helga Testorf, Bill Loper, Allan Lynch and Adam Johnson are dancing on top of the Kuerners’ hill in view of all the locations where they lived and were painted by Andrew Wyeth. The empty streamer represents the artist who once said, “I wish I could be invisible when I’m painting.”"

Along with Russel Chatham, Andrew's work has influenced my eye, sometimes my photography

No comments: