"History is a wonderful thing, if only it was true"
-Tolstoy

Monday, November 17, 2008

Tumbling Dice

With apologies to the Stones (YouTube - ROLLING STONES - Tumbling Dice (1972))

GSE's are OK ( Fanny Mae/Freddie Mac)

What They Said About Fan and Fred - WSJ.com: "House Financial Services Committee hearing, Sept. 25, 2003:

Rep. Frank: I do think I do not want the same kind of focus on safety and soundness that we have in OCC [Office of the Comptroller of the Currency] and OTS [Office of Thrift Supervision]. I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidized housing."

Not all the blame falls on crooks on Wall St.

More: and I love the Maxine Waters bit ...

House Financial Services Committee hearing, Sept. 10, 2003:

Rep. Barney Frank (D., Mass.): I worry, frankly, that there's a tension here. The more people, in my judgment, exaggerate a threat of safety and soundness, the more people conjure up the possibility of serious financial losses to the Treasury, which I do not see. I think we see entities that are fundamentally sound financially and withstand some of the disaster scenarios. . . .

Rep. Maxine Waters (D., Calif.), speaking to Housing and Urban Development Secretary Mel Martinez:

Secretary Martinez, if it ain't broke, why do you want to fix it? Have the GSEs [government-sponsored enterprises] ever missed their housing goals?

No comments: