"History is a wonderful thing, if only it was true"
-Tolstoy

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas

Shirley got me ...

Two-Lane Blacktop

Maybe the best "road" movie made, at least in that era.
Just re-released on DVD.

Background: 1968 was my first car, a Firebird.
That September was time for a "road trip" to check on the Canadian Rockies. Inspiration was the Gene Autry tune "Blue Canadian Rockies" on the Byrds album "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" released that July.

Later I got into modifications, more modifications, even more modifications and a bit of 'racin'

Restless time, and the movie really hit a chord by the time it came out ('71).

Not much dialog, mostly "road time".

Later, I discovered motorcycles and added even more miles, a lot more, rockies several times, Smokey Mts, Ozarks, Arizona.

Preferred the open spaces of the American and Canadian West.

Shirley and I are talking about need for a "road trip", maybe not this spring, but soon.

No comments: