"History is a wonderful thing, if only it was true"
-Tolstoy

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

OK I'm a Skeptic

Gasoline prices are up
Reports that they are up 32cents per gallon over last year.

Quick math
Assume 15 gallon fill up, it's $4.80 per fill over last year.

A bottle of cheap (real cheap) wine, a bit more than a fancy coffee, don't know about bottled water (I fix my own plain coffee and don't buy bottled water)

But it's enough for politicians to grab the mike and talk about price gouging.
What about the demand side?
Stop driving so much, cut demand, therefore ease pricing pressures?

Whoops - drivers are voters, can't do that.

And don't look at sales taxes, here in Michigan, the state would pick up about 29cents on that price hike.

Ah but I'm just a cynic as well as a skeptic

What happens if prices go down?

1 comment:

lakelady said...

correction, gas is up 32 cents over last month. that's a 4.80 jump per 15 gal fill, my SUV has a 22 gal tank so that would be 7.04 each fill which for most folks I'm guessing is at least once a week, if not more. Only once a week that's 28.12 a month at least. Not much for you and me but that's 4 hours of work on minimum wage here in CA. Half a days work just to get to work. And if you're not in a minimum wage job but living on a tight budget then 28 bucks a month is a LOT.

Yes, we can cut other places I agree but I just wanted to add another perspective.