"History is a wonderful thing, if only it was true"
-Tolstoy

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Damn, now this makes me feel old

hPaul Paul Boutin : covers generational differencees in music ....
"Zach Braff who?

I know I've crossed the generation gap when my editor at Slate does a wry takedown of a guy who's supposed to be the voice of his generation, and I have no idea who Zach Braff is. I've come to accept that every time I hear "Such Great Heights" it reminds me of Paul McCartney and Wings, and it's ok to have younger friends who think Garden State was brilliant because it was the first movie ever that used a lot of cool songs in the soundtrack."

Huh?
Damn, but I remember do-wop, Perry Como, Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary, Early Dylan, Roy Orbison

Not to mention Jazz, Miles (Kind of Blue), Monk, 'train, Chet Baker ... so much more.
Concerts - Brubeck at Oberlin, Wes Montgomery at Baker's Keyboard, Johnny Cash with Carl Perkins and June Carter (with Mother Mabel- pre June Carter Cash)

Layer on some Broadway ... West Side Story to Fiddler, to JC Superstar

"...He might not have anything original to say, but Braff does offer this insight on our generation: We are inclined to mistake stuff for substance. OMG Josh, my generation does that too! Common ground!"

Flashbacks ... little names like Cream, MC5, Nugent, Butterfield ... like live club dates
Bill Haley, Chuck Berry ...

Just remembered Eric Burton- house of the rising sun(son?) at TansHaus (drink free teen joint) in late '60's

Ah well

Guess this is the end of civilization as we know it ...

No comments: